DAM

Answered

Comments

263 comments

Federico Lazzari

So. Its already SEPTEMBER. So about 6 to 8 months late, depending how you define "early 2018". And not a hint of a tentative release date. What a shame. Please man-up and deliver, or give us our money back. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Moritz Wellner

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360002766251/comments/360002163552

+1

I bought Luminar two times (2017 & 2018). I could've gotten a Lightroom 6 full licence oder a year of CC Subscribtion for this. This way, I have to use lightroom 5 and the slow plugin approach if I would like to use Luminar...

Matt Broadbent

I edited a photo today with lightroom and then with luminar.....luminar is so much better than lightroom and those who use it know this. and by using layers and masking my image was awsome. If you don’t want to wait for the DAM then leave Liminar and stop posting. The people who are happy to wait based on the quality of skylum products are sick of the wingers.

Nicolas Venot

Matt Broadbent, I'm very glad to hear Luminar is working so splendidly for you, as we can both know that it is indeed a very solid program to edit photos. If you're so sick of hearing from us so called "wingers", then why open up  thread titled "DAM" when you know exactly what's going to be inside? Some of us are trying to have a respectful conversation about the topic without slathering comments about DAM everywhere else.

As for us so called "wingers",  many of us bought Luminar '18 specifically based on Skylum's marketing clearly making DAM sound like it was right around the corner in "soon" and "early 2018". Are we not justified in letting Skylum know at our dissatisfaction at their lack of information? I think we can both agree that the non-constructive comments and name calling from users from either side of the DAM spectrum is getting very old. 

Despite voicing our concerns and displeasures, deep down many of us "wingers" think Skylum is onto something good with Luminar, and just really want them to succeed.

David Dengler

I purchased Lum 2018 last November. I was really looking forward to the DAM. Although I appreciated the ease-of-use I was very disappointed with how many features were missing from the Windows version from day one. I don't check this forum very often but I am sad to see all of the complaints and vague company promises. Based on the promise of "this fall" I don't expect to see the DAM for at least two more months. In fact I guess it could be three months and still be "this fall". I now realize that I should have gone with a more complete solution from the beginning. Long story short, I'm an amateur with limited post-processing experience. I have looked around for an inexpensive  program from a well-established company (non-subscription). ACDSee is having a sale on their software. They brag about the "best DAM on the market" I have played with the trial version for a few days and am ready to purchase. TOMORROW (9/4) is the final day of the sale. I expect to use ACDSee for asset management, probably for processing and Luminar as an external editor if needed. Or I may ask for a refund from Skylum if they don't deliver on their promises. For my purposes (amateur), ACDSee looks like it should fit the bill.

Jason Mills

@david  was in much the same boat, and have done exactly what you are planning.  The DAM in ACDsee works really well for me, also an enthusiastic amateur.  When I first purchased it I found my self jumping out to Luminar to do easier post processing but find now that I am much more comfortable with driving ACDsee I do pretty much all of it in ACDsee.  I do sometime use the presets in luminar if I am after a really quick edit. I haven't taken the time to set them up myself in ACDsee. 

I still use Aurora for any bracketing shots I take as well but still manage them all through ACDsee.

Luca Zanardello

I am tired of waiting, i have bought it really because the feature looked behind the corner...

now it is September 2018 and i have just purchased on1, and i have to say, it is really good...

if skylum does not release the DAM quickly i think many people will move...

i would still like to use luminar as it is faster, but if the DAM does not come in a very short time i will not get back from on1

Peace

Keith George

I also have used a few ON1 tools and they appear to be very good. I have not purchased anything, other then resize, which now comes with a cataloging feature. If I have to wait much long ON1 will be what I choose. I’m still using Apple aperture 3 which still works amazing, however I’m finding the odd glitch’s as time goes by and can’t risk loosing anything. Let’s get it done Skylum. DAM it’s long enough.

Russell Webb

This may interest Ex Service personal who are fed up waiting for action!! https://www.on1.com/promo/special-pricing/

Nicolas Venot

Done and done! Thanks Russel! VERY excited to give On1 a spin!

Wander Weger

I was also drawn in by their marketing and promises for the DAM.    I'm disappointed that Skylum hasn't taken the time to reply.   Goodbye Skylum.

Gwenael BOUQUIN

Same for me.

Bought Luminar in '17... and '18 mainly for the DAM because the '17 was good enough for me.

One year later, nothing except new promises and probably a mail like "Buy the new version for 79$ and you will have a DAM" soon in my box.

Sorry guys, you'd got your turn but it's over for me. Cannot wait more, my money will go for an existing software.

YVON LECOURS

Never mind DAM. After waiting, waiting and waiting, I found ON1.  Honest company and great product.  I will consider Luminar as a $84.00 write off.  Good luck to everyone. Yvon OUT.

Denis Kotsee

@Gwenael BOUQUIN the DAM will be a free update for all owners of Luminar 2018.

@YVON LECOURS we're sorry to see you go. Hope you'll give Luminar another chance sometime in the future.

Moritz Wellner

Please stop that Denis!

Skylum already told customers of the 2017 Luminar that the DAM would be a free update and than we had to buy 2018 and it still wasn't there. If there is no clear proof, that the dam is coming in the next time, I don't believe Skylum anymore and find it very brave to make such statements!

Russell Webb

DAM will be a free update for all owners of Luminar 2018. sometime in the future,future,future,future, futu.....AHhhhhhh!!!!!!

Rex Matthews

"The DAM will be a free update for all owners of Luminar 2018" — WHEN? 

Angela Andrieux

@Rex - We posted an update on DAM a few days ago here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360022338711 - Our CEO is committed to shipping the DAM by the end of the year.

Jordi Soler

Thanks for heading me to the discovery of ON1 @Martim Durão ! Moving on and leaving Skylum behind. Fool me once....

Rodney Brown

Thank you @Angela Andrieux, but I'm concerned that waiting till the end of the year means we'll only have it for a short time before the 2019 version is out and we all have to pay for the upgrade to the latest features. It's disappointing and like many here I've had to invest in ON1 to get a DAM, and would have forgone the purchase of both Luminar and Aurora if I had known the issues and delays I'd be facing, particularly as a Windows user.

Angela Andrieux

@Rodney - We won't be releasing Luminar 2019 until later next year. You can read the latest update here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360022338711

Russell Webb

I recived an email yesterday 12/09/18 offering a discount for an upgrade of  Aurora 2019 less than a year since I purchased both Aurora and Luminar on the same day (29 Dec 2017) albeit with a military discount. Have to say this sends a message that the company are putting money first and customer second, don't get me wrong I understand that companies are there for one thing, to make money but only nine months after I bought there software they want me to pay again for an upgrade. No sorry now an On1 2018 user with a DAM and an all round thus good product. Russ.

ramesh ramchand

I can understand delays in shipping a quality product. However, since the product is now in internal Beta, can someone shed some light on the features it is likely to ship with? 

Frankly if it ships very close to Luminar 2019 being released and I have to pay for that upgrade for bug fixes, I would rather look into a competitor product like ON1.

Peter Holka

I went back to Lightroom/Photoshop - better pay monthly for good mature product than one-time payment but for bugs and promises. I bought Luminar almost one year ago with the promise of standalone product with DAM. Where we are today? We have plugin full of bugs and windows version is far behind Mac version. No thank you.

It is a shame because it is a very good product but very bad management a customer relationship degrade 

the value of a product.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

The problem is that we don't know in what stage it is.

A public beta was announced by the end of August, after having announced the end product for "early 2018" and serveral delays.

Now they say it is in internal beta and the product will see the light before end of 2018, but there is no time for a public beta, so expect lots of bugs, and the new 2019 version in early 2019 (with the same bugs).

But we don't know even if it is in internal beta, as all we have is a promotional short video of the end of 2017 where some body operates a model of the program.

Since then, no more videos, no more demostrations of how the program behaves, no feature lists…

And some baffling declarations of skylum's representatives saying they are going to "reinvent DAM" and define what a DAM is.

It would be great to know what they think a DAM is, in case we do not agree with their concept.

Thats the problem of buying a program by company's promises.
    You have to buy what you see, not what they promise (let me put that over my pillow).

I have paid a quite low price (educational) and I like several of their filters, like the pro contrast, the sun rays… which on their own almost pay what I have disbursed. 
    As PS or LR plugin it is great.

They have severe flaws even as a plugin (in windows) like an incorrect color management (and they don't seem to be in a hurry about it).

As a full developer or "LR killer" it is simply a joke.
    May be in the future, one or two years, it will be a good alternative, but not now.

Hearing some responses of developers and representatives in the forum does not encourage me to have faith in getting close to a "LR killer" soon.

Denis Kotsee

@ramesh ramchand

I'll base my reply on the demos I saw. I'm not participating in the beta testing, and things might not look and work exactly the same in the release version.

Obviously there's stuff you'd expect to have in a DAM, that is, an ability to import, catalogue, and rate files and folders. The browser is pretty quick and it uses the space for displaying images to the max: there are no extra spaces between the photos, so they're being displayed as large thumbnails; the images are still easy to distinguish though. You can transfer edits from one image to as many other images as you wish right in the library view. Overall it has a minimalist look and doesn't shove all the tools right in the user's face The tools are still there though, they pop up in the right place when you need them.

The DAM is going to ship by the end of this year, and I think the 2019 version will come significantly later.

@Peter Holka 

We're constantly working on fixing bugs and improving performance. If there are any particular issues you have in mind, please let us know. All issues that we're aware of are either already fixed or are waiting to be taken into work.

Russell Webb

@Denis Kotsee. No offence but see you skirted round my comment 'I recived an email yesterday 12/09/18 offering a discount for an upgrade of  Aurora 2019 less than a year since I purchased both Aurora and Luminar on the same day (29 Dec 2017) albeit with a military discount '  and as I wrote also 'the company seem to be far to money first and customer second'  You will say 'they are not' to that but it is JMO.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

@Denis

That is great you could see the demo of the DAM.

That is what we have been expecting all this months, at least some videos of the DAM and its features.

We know there are going to be flaws, but we expect to know a bit about what developers are working on and what to expect about the DAM.

BTW, this thread has more than 6 months and the author assures we are going to have the DAM soon and there is not a public beta yet, and even videos of the internal alpah testing.

Features and interface of a software should be desing quite ahead of its actual development, so there should be working models of the program quite early.

We see none of that, just promises that it will be great and continuous delays.

ramesh ramchand

Thanks Denis. I currently use Lightroom as DAM and Luminar for post-processing.

Question

Will Luminar DAM force import of all photos before cataloging like Lightroom or will it work more like ON1? 

Peter Holka

ramesh ramchand >> are you really still expecting an honest answer? Do you think they are really close to release DAM?

Why there is not any single screenshot or video over the whole internet after all that customers appealing??? 

Can somebody answer? But without words:: we are working on it , soon , soon , soon , soon etc.

Please sign in to leave a comment.