DAM

Answered

Comments

263 comments

Larry Koch

I am eagerly awaiting the DAM portion of Luminar as well.  I actually have held off on buying a license until the DAM was available, but after THOROUGHLY LOVING the application in Trial Mode I decided to just buy it anyway and trust that it'll arrive when it is ready.  I cancelled my Adobe subscription and am now in with both feet.  I find it a fun adventure and I really enjoy the interface and quality of images I can produce.

Another cool thing is that you can use Apple Photos and your temporary DAM and edit with Plug-in (Luminar 2018).  It works very well and will suffice for me for the time being.  I really loved Aperture, and would use it for the DAM, but it does not detect Luminar as a plugin - so that is a bummer.

So.....I'll edit along happily until the day of the DAM arrives.

Thanks for reading my 2 cents.

LK

Comment actions Permalink
    Cobus van Zyl

Problem with using Photos as your DAM, apart from being clunky, is that you get to edit a jpeg rather than the raw file.

Larry Koch

To:  Cobus van Zyl -

Very good point there regarding Raw.  And yeah, the Photos to plug-in thing is clunky.  I'll be glad when I don't have to take the extra import/export steps to get things done the way I'd like.  In the mean time, I'll linger along hoping the wait will end soon.   If I made my living from photography, or shot weddings or group events, there is no way I could function without the integrated DAM and would still be on Lightroom.   I feel sales for Skylum could potentially sky-rocket when they add this piece.

Rex Matthews

About Luminar's promised DAM: still waiting... and waiting... and waiting....

Jason Mills

I feel it would just be good if Skylum communicated their progress on the DAM development with a touch more enthusiasm.  I am really looking forward to it but the promised timeframe is past with no new update on when it is expected.  Very disheartening. 

I am also looking forward to white balance adjustments in the Windows version (available in MAC) which are "coming" but once again there is very little commitmment to a even semi usefull timeframe.  

Michael Anderson

Very surprised that anyone is still waiting.   We hear more about what Scott is doing than what is happening with product.  

Mike Skultety

The only reason I bought 2018 was to move from Aperture. The announced DAM seemed like the right time. Now we are half way THROUGH 2018 and no DAM yet. I feel cheated and spent good money on a product I can't fully use at this point.

Real artists ship!

Denis Kotsee

Not to detract from your argument but artists are also extremely volatile, to the point where they destroy their works, or make multiple sharp turns in their vision, or abandon art altogether, or neglect deadlines because they feel constraining to the artistic intent, and so on, and so forth :)

On a more serious note, I do understand that us failing to deliver on our promise has upset many people but we'd rather take the risk and postpone the launch than ship a half-baked product.

Mark Barnes

I expressed my frustration with delay  some time ago and am sure you're plenty frustrated too.However it would be even more frustrating if it was released loaded with bugs or without the features I need. There was a suggestion that regular updates on the progress of the DAM would be helpful,  which was received well by one of the moderators. That may stir up a hornets nest but I think most here would appreciate it.  

Thanks!

Peter Marxen

Hi Skylum,

cool that you look into future with the AI and so on... But - where is the DAM? This is for what we are waiting.

regards

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Peter,

We know how much the DAM tool is important for you. We will release it as soon as we can :) 

Bruce Bovill

To be fair, if creating a decent working DAM was easy, there's be a massive choice out there. With the bar having been set by the likes of Lightroom, anything new has to not only match the most important capabilities, it also has to match the reliability.

Skylum shot itself in the foot by setting expectations wrongly in its marketing.

They are trying to make amends for that by hopefully ensuring that whatever comes out, will be functional, and reliable.

To do anything else would be stupid.

Give them time. I appreciate it is frustrating, but the software is in the scheme of things - cheap.

Mark Barnes

Right on target with your perspective. Skylum did make a marketing mistake and now needs to give regular updates so we know their progress. There would be numerous choices out there on par with LR if it was easy. We're all frustrated but I want it done right. I think Skylum is painfully aware of the situation.

K.G. Wuensch

I think Skylum doesn’t have the mindset to produce a DAM I would entrust my images to.

They change functionality in the RAW developer willinilly (see their proudness that “Luminar now detects noise better and automatically applies noise reduction”, with no ability to turn off that mess), if that had happened with an active DAM it would have possibly invalidated every image edit stored in the DAM!

Or the Windows mess where in the middle of the release cycle they now upped the requirements to OpenGL 3.3 and current drivers (that’s the biggie, OpenGL 3.3 is old but the OpenGL drivers on Windiws are bad across the board) - everyone with problems with that (and there are a lot of problems, out if 4 Windows machines I have access ro and which are decently current and have fast CPU’s none really works correctly with the recent Luminar) would have lost access to the DAM...

So there has to be a big change in development philosophy before a DAM would become valid!

Radim Horák

I regret the purchase of Luminar, which I bought last year only with the promise of DAM. So far I have not used the program and I will not even use the program if it is not released (I'm still using Lightroom with a plan that I'll go to Luminar after DAM). I bought at discount with the idea of saving, but unfortunately I just threw money.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Radim - We appreciate your anticipation of the DAM and are working hard to make it awesome! It will be released as a free update later this year for all Luminar 2018 users. In the meantime, try using Luminar as a Lightroom plugin. It is pretty great that way, too!

Jordi Soler

Same here Radim. I just started in photography as a hobyist and I was doubting between using linux for building my suite of asset management by using various GNU/open source tools or go Windows and use Luminar+DAM+Aurora in order to be part of just one ecosystem...

Wish I had chosen the former, been waiting for a year and a half and still have to manage all my assets through windows explorer....

Allen Laird

I downloaded the trial version of this software and it's pretty cool though my learning curve for it is steeper than anticipated.  But I also MUST have the DAM.   I initially read that the DAM was coming in late June but judging by Angela's comment 5 days ago, looks like it'll be "later this year."    Hopefully it'll be great but I'm in a transition stage right now.  Just had the ol imac wiped clean to resolve a corrupted hard drive.  With that Aperture went bye bye and I just ordered a macbook pro.  When I get it I must have a new photo software to start running immediately.  On1 and Lightroom seem to be the only alternatives with solid DAM right now.  I'll probably have to go with either of those until Luminar catches up.   Also, is there seriously no skin smoothing brushes or red eye correction in Luminar?????  Or am I missing it???

Angela Andrieux

Hi Allen,

I don't have any additional info on the DAM beyond letting you know that we are on track to release it later this year as a free update for all Luminar 2018 users.

As for the skin smoothing and red eye reduction - there are no dedicated tools for that, but I can give you a few alternatives to try:

For skin smoothing - try the Soft Focus filter, Orton Effect filter, and Structure filter. The structure filter amount can be moved to the left and reduced which, to me, provides the best skin softening effect in Luminar. To apply any of these effects locally you can use the masking tools to brush the effect onto the areas where skin needs some attention.

For red eye - I use the HSL filter. In the saturation tab, move the Red slider all the way to left to desaturate the red and then use a small masking brush to apply the effect to the eye.

I hope that helps!

Allen Laird

I sincerely appreciate your response.   Will check out those ideas.  

Elmar Winkler
    Dear skylum-team,
    i have a major problem, like so many luminar-users.
    You promised DAM in early 2018, but there is none.
    You tell us "it comes soon". That is a point of definition. Soon can mean a time from a week to a year.
    I allready had to buy another software for managing my pictures.
    Now i am more than a little grumpy.

yours truly
    Elmar Winkler
    PS.: Beg pardon my enlish, i am from germany
    Denis Kotsee

I'm sorry, Elmar. I know my apology and understanding isn't much, given the fact that we've delayed the DAM for so long. We want to make up for that by releasing a module that is reliable, fast, and full of features, and we're almost finished. We'd appreciate if you decide to give Luminar another chance when the DAM comes out.

K.G. Wuensch

@Elmar, trust me, it's better this way.

What would you have said if you lost access to your image collection because the optmisations Skylum applied to Luminar meant that your computer has become incompatible with the newest version and you would have to buy a new computer (in the case of a laptop) or graphics card to regain access? Or that your DAM and image editor doesn't have any color management on Windows whatsoever (and according to their support they have no intention to fix that short term)?

For me an image editor without color management is completely worthless...

Denis Kotsee

We're actually working on color management on Windows right now. It's not our immediate priority but a priority nonetheless, and we plan on adding it as soon as we get a break from Aurora and Luminar updates. Also, you make it sound like there's some conspiracy between us an graphics card manufacturers which, I assure, there is not. OpenGL 3.3 is a pretty standard requirement for running software that has something to do with graphics.

K.G. Wuensch

@Denis,

you seem to be blissfully unaware that Windows and the manufacturer drivers have a love/hate relationship with OpenGL - while it may be an old standard support for it has sucked and will continue to do so. On Windows OpenGL is always an afterthought and only high end graphics cards get drivers that are up to snuff (like the Quadro series by NVidia). On Windows you would have to contend with DirectX flavours if you are a game manufacturer and GDI+ if you are a normal program which doesn't need 3D capabilities. Using OpenGL to render 2D graphics is ludicrous because the interface for doing so is cumbersome and basically untested on Windows. That's why LR for example only uses OpenGL on Windows on very tightly checked configurations and on all others it automatically disables it from the start. It's OPTIONAL and still LR is multiple times faster at anything than Luminar. I have yet to see a single commercial program that has as much problems with OpenGL as Luminar and since it's mandatory anyone trying to use Luminar on Windows is running into problems.

K.G. Wuensch

And as for "planning to add [color management] as soon as we get a break from ... updates". Well If you prioritize it that way then you will have a lot of time soon because you can stop developing Luminar - because as I said, an image editor without color management is complete and utterly useless! What is a user supposed to do who has invested in a good screen, if it covers more than sRGB (not that unlikely it's going to cover most of AdobeRGB) then without color management you can't work at all with the software as false colors will be the result no matter what you try.

Denis Kotsee

>On Windows you would have to contend with DirectX flavours if you are a game manufacturer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_6

Having an app work on Monday and not work after an update on Tuesday sucks, and I totally understand that you're upset about it, and I also understand that this might predispose you to thinking that we don't care for users who are affected by this issue.

But please tell me, do you honestly believe that, when we chose to raise the bar for hardware, we were cheering happily about some of our users not going to be able to use our product after an update? I can't help but feel the antagonism in your posts, as if you really believe that that's how it happened, sorry.

It was not an easy decision, and we're just as unhappy as those who are affected by it are.

There was a need for better performance on Windows, and the only way we could achieve it with the time and resources we had at hand was to introduce this new requirement. I understand that, as a customer, you don't care about the inner workings of corporate decision-making. You paid money for the product and you expect it to function. If it doesn't, you get your money back. If you haven't already, please send us a refund request at support@skylum.com, and we'll take care of the rest.

Rod Oh Zhi Hua

Hi,

I am fine with waiting for DAM as long as it will be given to existing Luminar 2017 & 2018 users because some of Luminar's features are actually quite useful. I didn't know that DAM was promised for Luminar 2017 users and now that I learnt that it has been delayed for another year, I am worried that Skylum will delay it until 2019 and expect us to pay for another version just to wait for DAM again. DAM is promised for Luminar 2017 & 2018 and it shall be delivered to users who bought either versions. If it is not released to us for free within this year, I am sure that we are in a position to sue you for false advertising if we are not given a full refund.

At this point, I want a refund already but I feel that it is unfair of me to demand for one right now. However, if you will give us users who are sick of waiting (and want to bail) a full refund, I believe we can drop the matter.

Regards,

Rod.

K.G. Wuensch

@Denis,

I was denied a refund a long time ago because I nominally have one machine on which Luminar works on - a Mac. But that's besides the point. The point is that you are trying to be something (a competition to Lightroom and Photoshop) which you can't achieve. Lightroom works nicely on every machine I tried and that includes the 3 machines that now are excluded from running Luminar because of the excessive hardware requirements. Don't tell people to buy new machines to run Luminar - because that will not happen. They are running Luminar to save money and avoid the subscription - do you really think they are going to spend somewhere between $200 (new graphics card capable of running Luminar half decent) and $3000 (high end laptop with dedicated high end graphics card capable of running Luminar) to avoid spending $10/month on a tried and tested product that runs on their current hardware well enough to run rings around Luminar? Really?

If you do release the DAM this year without color management in place - what do you think will happen? Everybody cheering that their images look like crap? What will happen when people start noticing the effect of the automatic, unavoidable noise reduction that is applied to RAW images under some undisclosed heuristic? Again people will be cheering because the noise reduction that early in the pipeline makes editing them a moot endeavour? Luminar always had problems with the MacPhun HDR heritage. Luminar Neptune had a horrible RAW engine that was tuned to churn out HDR images. What it had was a good noise reduction as a personality that was worth the money spent on Neptune. Now Luminar 2018 has a so/so RAW engine that seems unrefined and half baked, especially with the automatic noise reduction that can't be stopped from ruining your image detail if the heuristic fails - and no heuristic is perfect! Couple that with a horribly crude noise reduction filter that is prone to destroy every little bit of detail you captured that replaced the noise reduction personality from Neptune.

IMHO creating a DAM on the base of Luminar is way too early in the lifetime and maturity of the base product. It still is too much in flow so that things like edit persistence - which is a key feature of any DAM - make sense to implement. I don't think your managers know what they are in for if they release a DAM which may cease to function when Luminar ups the hardware requirements again - or one where edit persistence isn't adhered to (no further changes to the image rendering without having a setting that preserves previous edits exactly as they were, every change of existing functionality adds additional code that need to be maintained indefinitely increasing development cost, as it must not replace existing code) - or one where color management is not existant or iffy. Luminar still has no setting that adjusts JPEG quality on a size goal (something very important to people that want to export to social media or photo sharing sites where there is a file size limit and they want to get the best possible image quality under that constraint) and even basic functions sometimes fail miserably (ever tried to crop an image under aspect ratio constraint - that feelt more like a video game than an image editor)...

Angela Andrieux

Hi Rod,

We are on track to deliver the DAM as a free update to all Luminar 2018 users later this year. I don't believe that such a promise was made for 2017 users. However, we will work with those still using v2017 who are expecting the DAM as an update on a case-by-case basis and do our best to satisfy our customers.

As for refunds, we offer a 30 day money back guarantee. If more than 30 days have passed you can still request a refund at support@skylum.com and we will consider each request on a case-by-case basis.

Please sign in to leave a comment.