DAM

Answered

Comments

263 comments

• Official comment
    Konstantin Zolo

Hi, the DAM is actively being developed and will be released soon! We'll reveal more details when we get closer to the launch.

Comment actions Permalink
    Mark Barnes

Will the new DAM be able to import images from Apple Photos? That would be important.

Mark Barnes

I chose Luminar {2017 & 2018) after learning that Lightroom was moving to a subscription basis. For my work, Luminar 2018 has been terrific and provides everything I need. I also like the continuing newsletters and free presets and LUTS along with the educational videos.

Another major reason I chose Luminar was that a DAM would be coming soon....another reason I didn't go with LR. I'm at a point where I really need a DAM to organize my library. I've resisted using Photos in anticipation of the new DAM. I haven't been able to get an answer if the new DAM will import images from Photos. If it will then I can move to Photos temporarily. Right now I'm stuck in limbo.

I'm still hopeful that the new DAM will be released soon. If the DAM will also import from Photos that would be ideal for travel. Upload to Photos/iCloud, then upon return import into the DAM.

Bruce Bovill

I’d suggest you don’t simply launch the DAM. Start a beta process and invite a small number of the more experienced users to explore it. I’m not thinking a DAM is critical but others do. Don’t just launch and get slagged off by your customers; make sure you deliver on expectations.

Phil Hurd

I have already volunteered to beta test the DAM but had no response as yet. It was promised in the last version and that was the reason I purchased Luminar, so I'm hoping second time lucky! I badly want to dump Lightroom

Luis Mederos

Like many, I am looking for an alternative to Adobe.  And like many here, I am starting to wonder if Luminar will be successful at implementing a DAM.

I am willing to wait for a month or two more, but after that I will look seriously at ON1 RAW, which already has a DAM capability.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

I don't understand why you think windows users should be a second table plate from the  menu.

I understand that Luminar has been developed in Mac and it takes time to have a polished program for windows.

But money from windows users is worth the same as money from Mac users.

It is not a good development plan to develope first for one platform and later adapt to others.

If development is going to be successful you  have to have as much common code as possible and develope for the platforms in parallel doing beta testing at the same time.

I have no doubts that will be the future development plans of Skylum, or I would not have bought the software.

If Skylum wants to grow - and it needs to if it wants to be a Lightroom alternative- it needs to count on windows users.

DAM is a priority for a softwares that markets as a Lightroom alternative, not as a set of plugins or even a PS alternative.

Michael Anderson

Anyone wanting just a browser can use Adobe Bridge which is free.   It is a browser with import and renaming capabilities.   It can be a stop gap until the DAM is released and customers decide if it is the right solution for them.  

Dann Lavery

Will the Skylum DAM feature be compatible with BRIDGE?  i.e. import keywording, etc from Bridge into Luminar?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Dann - We know that importing keywords and other metadata from other digital asset management tools is important to our users and we'll do our best to make the transition as smooth as possible. We'll be releasing more specific info on our DAM when we get closer to its release.

Herbert Smith

What is in ON 1 Raw does not even come close to being a DAM.

Chris Malikoff

@Angela Andrieux: "We'll be releasing more specific info on our DAM when we get closer to its release." - already half way through April and a rather open-ended statement designed to prolong the wait indefinitely. I'm losing confidence in Skylum's ability to deliver what I need for me to turn off Lightroom's on-going subscription. "When we get closer" should be revised as "When we deliver in [month]".

Cobus van Zyl

Another update today and no DAM. I'm sorry to say but DAM is a critical function for a lot of us. I don't want to switch from one application to another to view and edit photos. I like Luminar better than Lightroom for editing but am gladly paying the CC subscription to be able to manage my library. I won't be upgrading to the next version of Luminar and have stopped using it to edit.

If Luminar does not add DAM, and soon, they'll just become another wannabe in the photo editing software market. There are lots of other too but none can challenge Adobe because they fail to add a critical part of the workflow.

Chris Malikoff

Latest update (13/4/2018) - right at the bottom: "We hope you enjoy these improvements. We’re hard at work on more as well as the new digital asset manager for later this year."

You really need to do yourselves a favour and be more specific for your users. Serious photographers make economic decisions based on your promises, and this sort of language is not winning people over.

Luis Mederos

I really would like Skylum to get a huge win out of this -- a full alternative to LR --- but I agree with the other posters.  We are losing confidence.

As a minimum:  

1. a listing of the DAM features that are being implemented (not being considered)
    2. release month

This would responsibly provide to users what they need to decide if they can or cannot wait.

Nicolas Venot

I won't at all be surprised if we keep getting non-specific updates and Skylum's word that its "coming soon"; that is until the announcement that they're now taking pre-orders for Luminar '19, and that it will include DAM available in "early 2019" (just like Luminar 2017).

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, but I would be much happier if Skylum acted a little more transparently and gave customers a more specific and realistic time frame (even if they admit that it just won't be ready for this year's version). Yes there would be a lot of unhappy people who bought Luminar '18 primarily for the DAM, but in the long run, customers tend to appreciate not being constantly lead on... Despite having made a really powerful photo editing tool, Skylum has unfortunately established the track record of promising too much too soon. I'll be taking any mentions of upcoming features in current or future applications with a grain of salt, and waiting to see things released to the public before buying.

Keith George

I have been using and holding onto Apple Aperture 3, which I am stating to have more problems with, as it is no longer supported. If I switch to a new DAM, I won't be looking back. I have been waiting in hopes Luminar now Skylum and years later would be releasing early 2018. We are now into mid year and nothing.... Are you really going to force me into something other. (Lightroom, PhotoSupreme, Mylio, Apple Photo etc... Every photographer knows there is going to be learning curves and glitches with new software! Lets get it released so people can use it and get the glitches worked out!! I think many people are in the same boat and are holding onto old software in hopes of whats been promised, but are getting tired of waiting.... Hear in lays the problem, once you lose a customer its very unlikely they will return and the longer you wait the more customers you are losing The more pictures people place into there current DAM the less likely they will transfer them over to a new one......... What will it be skylum???

Angela Andrieux

Hi Keith,

We understand your urgency, but don't want to put out a DAM that isn't ready. We take the stability of the DAM very seriously because it will be managing our users' precious photos. Whether they are personal treasures, or what you do for a living (or a combination) - we want to make sure that the program is stable before releasing it.

Chris Malikoff

@Angela Andrieux - It sounds like you really just don't give a damn, because that last statement was useless to us. My interpretation is that you're no where near ready to release it - which sounds like vapour ware is afoot. I'm stating to lose trust in you. We've ALL complained about your lack of response to this specific question. If your company is completely unable and unwilling to tell us how long we have to wait - we'll move on. It's not worth hanging around on a open and very blank promise of "when its' ready". Of course we want it stable - it would be entirely useless if it wasn't. Are you planning to release it THIS year? 

Konstantin Zolo

Chris,

Yes, the DAM will be released this year.

Mark Barnes

I'm sure it's frustrating to hear the many complaints about the release of the DAM, abd I can appreciate that Skylum wants to get it right before its release.  Regardless, Luminar is a terrific program and has really made a difference in my images. Looking forward to updates on the DAM. I'm hopeful that it will be worth the wait.

Bruce Bovill

It must depend on individual needs, used, expectations and the platform they use, as well as volume of pictures.

I don't need the DAM and probably won't use it, unless it has irresistible benefits for my personal use.

I'm quite content with Luminar as it is currently.

Luis Mederos

@Bruce Bovill

I am glad to hear you are satisfied with the product without the DAM, but how does that contribute to those who started this thread and *do need* the DAM?

Mark Barnes

I have expressed my disappointment and complaints about the delay of  the DAM many times, both in the group forum on FaceBook and here some time ago. I believe that Skylum has heard our complaints as well as our requests for the features we want.  Skylum has promised regular updates going forward and I'll wait to see if they deliver. If not then I'll be as vocal as anyone else  (again) since I delayed purchasing LR for Luminar and the long promised DAM. Hope that clarifies. Thx,

Bruce Bovill

Hi Luis, it contributes in a couple of ways. 

First it explains that use and purchase of Luminar for some users is not entirely dependent on there being a DAM, either immediately, or at all. That's not necessarily intended to add other than to place that in the conversation.

Second, I also say that if the DAM is irresistible then that situation might change for users like me.

On the assumption that this thread is intended to be directed to Skylum, to help them better understand what their users wish, I believe it contributes.

I'd argue that it adds as much as constant complaining about delivery times (no matter how well justified), as opposed to informing Skylum and others about features that would be useful or indeed critical.

It's a forum.

Luis Mederos

@Bruce Bovill

First, your response was very clear and very civil.  Thank you.

Although we probably will end up agreeing to disagree, my point is that from the very beginning of this thread the issue is that those of who us *do* need the DAM are very disenchanted with the situation where a DAM was promised and not delivered yet.  When we purchased the current version of Luminar, that was a key selling point, and it is now almost 6 months later with no DAM.

Yes, Luminar can do a lot of nice things, but for those who need the DAM (at least in my case and I acknowledge I am speaking for myself), it is a fail.

Mark Barnes

No worries.  Trust me, I want the DAM as much as you do. I need it as much as anyone. Skylum responded to my concern that they are not communicating their progress on the DAM. That regular, meaningful communication would go a long way with us. Like you, I bought Luminar 2017 and upgraded to 2018 on the promise that the DAM would be delivered. That's why I'm not in the Lightroom CC space. So I think we agree. I wanted to put a somewhat positive spin and may have not be clear.

Thanks for your response. I think were on the same page with this.

Best regards.

Bruce Bovill

@Luis Mederos

I don't think we need to agree to disagree as I definitely agree about your basic point regarding the mismatch of marketing hype and coding reality. That's an issue that I hope Skylum will have learned from - don't sell vapourware.

I only wanted to make the comment that different users have different perspectives on the DAM, as we would always expect.  I know, from the other side, how difficult it can be to rectify an issue like this, and the last thing in the world that Skylum will want is to compound things by releasing buggy, nonfunctioning, maybe even non-installing (it HAS happened) software that is mission critical to many users. 

Matt Broadbent

I have had lightroom 6 for a while now and it runs very slow, the work area is very boaring and it’s not as easy to use as it’s marketing leads you to believe. Yes it does have a very good DAM. But I feel adobe have dropped me like a hot potato as they are only interested in subscribtions for their products.
    Luminar is an absolutely fantastic editor. I can’t wait till the DAM is released but I’m not going to hassle Skylum about it. I am actually going to take my hat off to Skylum for not releasing the DAM before it is ready due to customer pressure. I’m sure it will be as refreshing and professional as the rest of your software is. Luminar is amazing and noiseless ck is phenomenal for noise reduction. Keep up the good work Skylum.

Denis Kotsee

Thank you, Matt, we will!

Please sign in to leave a comment.