Aurora is frustratingly slow!

Comments

7 comments

Konstantin Zolo

Hi David,

I am sorry to hear you're having these issues.

Have you contacted our technical support team at support@skylum.com

Our developers are constantly working on improving the speed performance of the app.

Comment actions Permalink
    David Roby

One Tiff file imported from Lightroom; one preset applied at 12.46; I left the computer to go into the garden; 15.09 - export not completed and computer frozen. I rest my case.

David Roby

Back again! This morning I conducted an experiment, starting an image in Lightroom then taking copies into Topaz Studio, Aurora, Luminar and On1RAW and timed how long it took to return to Lightroom after applying a preset without further adjustment. The results were as folows: - Topaz Studio - 10 seconds; Aurora 69 seconds; Luminar 34 seconds; On1RAW 52 seconds. There will be explanations that, I am sure, techies would be able to come up with for the variations. I was quite surprised by the fact that the Aurora result was so quick as my experiments with the software have shown that, more often than not, it takes many minutes or many, many, many minutes for the exporting process to be completed (if it does complete!). As I have indicated in an earlier post there have been occasions when it looks as though the computer has frozen after 60, 70, 80, 90 minutes and I have had to switch of the computer and reboot. After the 69 second 'success' this morning I edited a file (same image size as in the morning) in the same way - Lightroom DNG processed then into Aurora where I applied a single preset reduced to 30% opacity; after pressing 'Apply' the exporting began. After 65 minutes the process was not complete so I switched off, rebooted and started again; this time, after 90 minutes the process was not complete and the PC apparently frozen. I switched off again, rebooted and here we are. I have a program, for which I paid out a not insubstantial amount of money, which I desperately want to be able to use (and not just applying a single preset which is all I've been able to do so far). I have reported similar issues to your Luminar Technical Support. I am aware that there is a major update to Luminar to be released in the near future; I hope that that will solve the Luminar problems. Is there also going to be a major update to Aurora that might improve its performance? I would hate to think that we Windows users are being employed as guinea pigs (non-paid) to identify performance issues that the software developers might address, because I definitely feel like a second-class citizen compared with the Mac-users. I can envisage what will happen in the future: Aurora and Luminar 2019 will be released and I, and others, will be expected to fork out again for that new version when we have not had value for money for the 2018 version. I am aware from comments on the Skylum Photography Facebook page that there is considerable dissatisfaction with the products and that people are turning their backs on Skylum software. I hope that I do not have to join them and write off the investment that I have made in purhchasing Skylum software.

Angela Andrieux

Hi David - I'm sorry for the frustrations you're having. The mid-month update for Luminar should be beneficial for you. We are also working on an update for Aurora that will also include advances in performance. I don't have a date for the release yet, but I know our developers are working on it.

If you haven't already, please reach out to support@skylum.com and our techs will gladly assist.

David Roby

I have upgraded my PC to 16Gb of RAM and installed a SSD. My Skylum software is now running satisfactorily. Maybe the 'minimum requirements' should be amended to inform potential buyers that Aurora and Luminar will creak with only 8Gb of RAM.

ray brizzi

Hate to open the box and pull out all those cables, but I can see in task manager that memory is an issue, need to go from 8 to 16. It is frustrating that the hdr 2019 runs like a DOS program, preventing access to open other programs or even task switch to already running programs. Start button also does nothing, and the hidden task bar doesn't come up.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Ray,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with Aurora HDR 2019. Please send us an email to support@skylum.com with your computer specs and we will see if we can pinpoint the issue.

• Press the Windows logo key + R.
    • Type msinfo32 in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    • In the window that opens, make sure you have System Summary highlighted on the left.
    • Click File > Export.
    • Type the name of the file and save it somewhere where you can easily find it

Thanks in advance!

Please sign in to leave a comment.