Display of "Focus Points"

Answered

Comments

18 comments

Julia Kot

Hi Margarita, 

This could definitely be an interesting feature to look into. Could you elaborate more on why you're looking for this feature or how exactly you'd use it?  

Comment actions Permalink
    Margarita Ney

Hi Julia, I shoot Nikon and their proprietary software Capture NX-D has the feature to show all focus points that were active at the time of the image being captured.  You can then (in particular if you are not a pro) see if you really achieved focus on the target you intended or iif you focused on the nose instead of the eye, etc.  I have many images where my focus is on a tree behind the person ... ha ha. - It is a very helpful feature to gauge which focus points were active also if you were not using single focus point.  I know that this feature has been requested numerous times by LR users and for some reason Adobe hasn't implemented it at this point in time.

Michael Anderson

Capture One Pro does a great job of showing the focus area via a mask.   Using that display is a great way to cull.  If the image has the right layout (or can be cropped), right exposure and the right focus areas, it should be a keeper.  

Julia Kot

Thanks for your detailed explanation, Margarita :) 

I'll definitely pass your suggestion to our devs for their consideration. 

Tim Trim

Aperture did/does this, basically overlays the autofocus points from the camera and highlights those achieving focus.

Margarita Ney

Picktorial does show focus points as well.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

It is impossible for an independent developer to show things like focus points for all camera ve dors in the market.

That information is not a standard exif tag in the raw file.

Info like focus points, distance to subject and alike is coded in propietary exif fields.

In canon that info is encrypted unde propietary and non disclosed algorithms, so you cannot interpret it.

Only canon can read it in their software reliable.

A thin the same occurs in Nikon and other vendors.

Margarita Ney

Fernando, sorry to say but you are incorrect. The independent software Picktorial reads focus points of all my NEF files and there is also an independent Lightroom plugin that also does it.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

I have not said there is no software that rads it or it is imposible to decode that info.

I have said that it is propietary information at least in some brands, and you cannot promise to decode that info reliably if you have to cover all brands and models of camera in the market.

Margarita Ney

It can be done and it has been done reliably for Nikon and Canon focus points.  I have compared it with my Nikon proprietary software View NX-i and it has been done accurately by Picktorial and the LR plugin.  I don't know about other brands, but because I use Nikon, it is not really relevant to me.  It is not impossible, as you stated in your first comment.  It is very possible.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

But is relevant for skylum, as luminar is a general brand developing software, not a Nikon brand developer.

In software world almost anything can be done,

But in this case you have to face reverse engineering protection  issues.

Sigma has managed to reverse engineer the communication protocol with lenses in Canon, but it took a lot of effort and it was crucial if you want to sell af lenses for canon.

It has reliability isdues, as some lenses do not focus correctly with new cameras.

Michael Anderson

No different that doing auto lens corrections for m43 Olympus and Panasonic bodies or Sony...etc.   Auto lens corrections using raw data for mirrorless was in the list of things to be added for MacOS in April.    

Showing focus points, like doing auto lens corrections from raw file data, is currently being done by Skylum competitors and a very reasonable expectation from the market.     

Fernando Ariznavarreta

Quite different.

Auto lens correction in m43 is forced by Olympus, they do not permit you to implement a raw developer without implementing the lens correction.

They don't like people to see the image without software corrections, as their objetives do not have lenses for geometric or chromatic correction.

Only dcraw developer lets you see the images from m43 with no chromatic or geometric corrections. Just because it is an independent developer made by David Coffin using reverse engineering techniques able to decode almost any raw in the market, and developed with no brand help.

Lens correction can be measured (dxomark has an huge database of lens corrections) and implemented for any lens, you cannot encrypt how the lens behaves.

EXIF data that is not standard can be encrypted or coded using proprietary techniques and many brands do (like Canon, and it includes focus points, as long as I know).

I just wanted to show this is not a trivial feature to implement, and the results may differ from brand to brand.

Of course it is not impossible.

Carlos Rosa

Hi, I really like to see focus checking, whatever you want to call it, in this software, since sometimes is not quite obvious where the focus is. Why, for many reasons, but one is actually to understand the camera and to see what we did wrong.

CaptureOne 11 has it, I have this software as well, is not perfect, but at least I have a very good idea of what happened.

Colin Grant

Could someone explain the benefit of seeing the focus points. As has been said, Nikon software provides this but I have never personally identified a pressing need for it. I may be missing a trick here!

Michael Anderson

I can see the focus point in the playback on the LCD of my camera (E-M1 II).   That way if the point used was not what is needed, I can make more images while I am at the shooting location.   So I don't see a pressing need to highlight the AF point(s) in post production.

Paul Ross

When in Essentials View, I would like to be able to see the EXIF data for the image that is enlarged.  And I would like a way to tag the file name and add some of the exif like Camera, F stop, shutter, focal length of lens at time of picture.  I can do it in the packaged software from Panasonic G9 camera, but I really would like to do this while culling images using Luminar 3.

Colin Grant

Most, probably all, of that is already in the metadata. It is just that Luminar does not pick it up. Luminar is well under featured.

Please sign in to leave a comment.